We will know about the Vajrasana Pose before we can discuss Vajrasana Benefits. Vajrasana is derived from two Sanskrit terms – vajra and asana.
Vajra basically translates as a thunderbolt, pointing to the mythological weapon used by Indra, Lord of the Heavens, in Hindu mythology. This is also a symbol of courage and invincibility.
The second term, asana, refers to pose and is a popular suffix in the majority of yogic phrases when speaking to yoga practice exercises. All we need to know is Vajrasana Benefits.
Yoga is a pillar of a healthy lifestyle and with excellent purpose. Not only may simple postures, or asanas, aid in weight loss, but they also have dozens of new additional internal benefits.
Vajrasana position is one of them. This is one of the most accessible asanas; even beginners can practice vajrasana at home and can receive the Vajrasana Benefits for better excellent health.
8 Major Health advantages of Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
There are many advantages to practicing this Vajrasana Yoga. Here are some of the Vajrasana Benefits mentioned below:
Beneficial to the Digestive System:
Vajrasana has numerous benefits for the digestive system. It reduces blood flow to our thighs and raises it to our stomach, which stimulates our bowel motions and helps alleviate constipation.
Additionally, Vajrasana supports us in eliminating bloating (gas) and acidity. It facilitates our bodies’ nutrition absorption.
Generally, no form of exercise or yoga should be done shortly after finishing a meal. But, Vajrasana is beneficial to conduct after meals because it improves digestion.
Helps relieve Low Back Pain:
Vajrasana improves flexibility in our lower back, minimizing infrequent muscle spasms. Additionally, it assists in treating sciatic nerve pain.
Continue reading: 10 Lower Back Exercises
Soothes Rheumatic Pain:
Practicing Vajrasana helps to strengthen the flexibility of the thigh and leg muscles, as well as the muscle tissue that surround the hip, knee, and ankle. This contributes in the reduction of rheumatic strain caused by tightness in certain regions.
Additionally, Vajrasana promotes the healing of heel pain caused by calcaneal spurs and gout pain.
Stimulates Blood Circulation in the Pelvis:
Practicing Vajrasana increases circulation of blood in the pelvis and develops the pelvic floor muscles. As a result, it is helpful for women who have stress urinary incontinence. Furthermore, it supports the relaxation of labor difficulty and menstrual cramps.
Promotes peace and calm of mind:
Vajrasana is an excellent form of yoga for practicing meditation. Breathing exercises executed in this stance help to calm the mind and are useful emotionally. It eradicates stress, enhances focus, and fights against anxiety and depression.
Continue reading: 7 Stress-Relieving Relaxation Techniques
Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) Treatment:
Vajrasana assists in reducing stress and blood pressure levels, thereby protecting us from a variety of cardiovascular diseases.
Enhances Sleep Quality:
Practicing Vajrasana relaxes the mind and eliminates stress and depression. As a result, it benefits in our ability to sleep soundly.
Additionally, read: Six Sleep Benefits
Vajrasana improves our digestion and helps in the reduction of abdominal obesity. It has been shown to be useful in lowering BMI (Body Mass Index) and weight control.
How to Perform Vajrasana Yoga (Thunderbolt Pose)?
- Kneel down, keeping your lower legs together and stretching them backward. Your large legs and heels should be held tightly together. Those who have tight ankles can stretch the joint by placing a towel below the ankle arch.
- Reduce your body gently to the point where your buttocks rest on your heels and your quadriceps rest on your calf muscles.
- Arrange your hands on your knees and focus your sight forward, hold your head perfectly straight.
- Concentrate on your breathing. Keep proper awareness of your breathing and pay careful attention to how you intake and expel.
- Close your eyes to focus on your breathing and to let your thoughts relax.
- Maintain this position for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
Precautionary measures during the Vajrasana Pose
This is a very safe asana. However, there are some other things to consider before beginning to execute this asana.
- Prevent this yoga practice if you have a knee condition or have recently had knee surgery.
- Pregnant women should practice this asana with their knees should be slightly apart to avoid placing pressure on their abdomen.
- Avoid excessive arches or excessive use of your lumbar spine to maintain an upright posture.
- Individuals who have intestinal ulcers, fistulas, or other issues involving the large or small intestine should perform this posture under the supervision of the instructor in yoga classes.
Preparation yoga for Thunderbolt Pose:
Poses for Follow-Up
What are you waiting for now that you know how to conduct Vajrasana perfectly? This asana is an excellent way to strengthen the body while also focusing the mind.
While this is one of the simplest asanas in yoga, it is rather tough to maintain perfect mental and physical stillness. Carefully read the above article regarding the Vajrasana Benefits.
You can also join our 200 hour yoga teacher training course in rishikesh. To know more, contact us.